Navigation

Friday, June 3, 2011

Raindrops keep falling on my head....

 [ via we it ]

I'm soaking wet. I managed to be out on the street when I started to pour down like The Flood was coming... Only 3/4h before I was sunbathing (or so) with a friend in Vienna's Stadtpark. Eating ice cream and complaining about the heat. Lucky me I had my little pink Esprit umbrella with me - not that helped much but... It was raining so heavily all of a sudden - after 3 days of unbearable heat and humidity - that I chose to wait under the sun blind of a bistro. The owner of the birstro was sitting next to the door. First question: Do you have a boyfriend? Second one: Oh, but I can't let you stand around in the rain without a drink. So I got a coffee for free... ^_^ He totally wasn't my type and he got a bit annoying and quite pushy so as soon as the worst (of the rain) was over, I managed to get away...

Didn't get far because there was quite a tumult out on the street. You must know, I was right in the city center - with all the posh shops like D&G, Gucci etc. around. I swear, there were at least 50 police cars and about 200 policemen, in full armor (no kidding!) with helmets and shields... I'm so not into soccer that I almost forgot it's Austria vs. Germany (for whatever championship, I really don't care) today. (That also means that there will be hardly any "useful" program on TV tonight...) Not that there's a stadion anyway nearby that area. I asked a few people but noone seemed to know what was going on... There was heavy action in the middle of the storm, nevertheless. I felt like being trapped in a street battle... The shouting combined with the thunder roaring in the background and the sounds of sirens... And I thought this was going to be another boring Friday afternoon!

On the other hand, it was quite funny how all of a sudden about 30 German soccer fans, fully outfitted of course, squeezed together under the Starbucks sun blind. Oh, and best of all were 2 Germans - complete fan dress, beer in one hand, veal sausage in the other - were looking for shelter in the Intimissimi shop entrance. Hardly ever saw anything (or anyone for the matter) so out of place...

Another insight: Japanese apologize all the time, even if it was you who accidently stung them almost into the eye with the sharp end of the umbrella. And Italian men - especially the middle-aged to old ones - look rather elegant and nonchalant, no matter what... even in their (sokaing wet) "tourist outfits" (which is still way more classy and fashionable than the everyday-style of most Austrian men...) And they smile a lot. Besides, I love the sound of Italian... 

Anyway, enough rambling for now. I will get myself a dry and comfy outfit and be back again to list my newest accquistions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails