Navigation

Sunday, September 26, 2010

On the Big Screen...

The Countess



The Countess is a French-German 2009 film about Elizabeth Báthory, a 17th century Hungarian countess who embarks on a murderous undertaking, with the belief that bathing in the blood of virgins will preserve her beauty. It is the third directorial effort by Julie Delpy, who also stars as Bathory. Delpy has said, of the project, that "it sounds like a gothic [story] but it's more a drama. It's more focusing on the psychology of human beings when they're given power."

Okay, so I admit I kinda emptied the DVD shelf where it said "Daniel Brühl". It all started with this film, though. I missed it while it was still playing in cinemas so I tried to find it at the Vienna City Library which usually has a very wide range of not only books but also films. Especially those not-so-mainstream-like films I love to see. I couldn't quite find "The Countess" though (not even under the German title) so I typed in the name of Daniel Brühl. I was quite surprised about all the movies he's been in - and which were available at the library as well. There are some real "jewels" among them... Since TV doesn't really offer anything (all my favourite TV Shows - and there are not many anyway) are still or just went on a break between seasons... I'm now well looked after!

As for the movie, I really liked it. I have this thing for history and costume films anyway... Not to mention the "beautiful" (meaning old and historical) scenery. The story is quite interesting - I think I'll do a little research on the subject when my exams are over...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails